Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Letter from Mike Morris, GMG 3


AUTHOR'S NOTE:  In Chapter 17, Mike Morris vividly remembers how Chief Tozer died. For his courageous action that night, we put Mike’s name in for the Silver Star. It was an honor earned and awarded. Mike is now retired from a life-long job as a fireman in Portland, Oregon.

Prior to publishing the book, I sent my recollections of that night to Mike for his review. He made some important comments and filled in the details on what happened on PBR #725 after it was hit on the Vinh Te Canal. His comments on the published book are set forth below. 
ROLLAND KIDDER

Book Review: Backtracking in Brown Water


In 1966 I joined the U.S. Navy.  After stints on an ammunition ship and fleet oiler, I was assigned to a PBR (patrol boat river) Division in Viet Nam.  On November 20, 1969, while on ambush on the Vinh Te Canal in the Delta region, my boat was hit by three B-40 rockets and automatic weapons gun fire.  Eldon Tozer (patrol officer) was killed.  Two Vietnamese and three U.S. sailors, including me, were seriously wounded.  After the attack, I was the only one able to drive the boat back to base camp and, because of this, I wasn't able to help any of the wounded.  After being hospitalized for several weeks, I returned to the patrol boat division and was back on the canal.  My tour finished six months later, and I left the Navy as a gunner's mate 3rd class.

I returned to my home, Portland, Oregon, and resumed civilian life.  In 1974, I joined the Portland Fire Bureau, and served for 39 years on the line as a fireman.  Now retired, I enjoy a wonderful life with my wife, four children, and two grandchildren. 

Rolly Kidder's book brought back a lot of memories for me –some I thought I had tucked away deep into the recesses of my mind.  Most of the time, I know I have a good handle on my years in the Navy.  I did the job I was assigned, and did it to the best of my ability.  Once in awhile, though, a memory will surface in a bad dream that wakes me at night.

Thank you,  Rolly, for not only writing about your experiences, but following up with the families whose lives were so profoundly affected by the events described in your book.  I recommend this book to all who are interested in our war and the U.S. Navy.

Mike Morris
GMG 3 (Gunner's Mate Guns Petty Officer 3rd Class)
River Division 535
September 1966-June 1970.


No comments:

Post a Comment