Monday, March 3, 2014

Vincent Tobin, retired attorney, New York State Power Authority

Book Review: Backtracking in Brown Water



Rollie,

Just finished your book, and I thought it was terrific. It captured the reality and all of the conflicts of the Vietnam war in a way that I found unique and moving. I'm normally not big on military history, but this was wonderful --I'm going to buy a few more copies to give to friends who went through it.

While reading it I was continually haunted by the fact that at the very period you were there, late '69 and early '70, I was finishing college in Washington and participating nearly every weekend in some sort of antiwar activity -- our house would be a beehive of activity with friends and complete strangers in town for the latest demonstration. We gave virtually no thought to the realities and experiences of the men on the ground over there, which I regret.




Your observations about the civilian casualties from chopper fire are chillingly relevant to the debate over drones today. And, as someone who went into the National Guard as a result of the draft (I was #12 in the first draft lottery) I agree with you completely about the benefits of the draft. Some form of compulsory service would keep us out of a lot of unnecessary wars!

You should be very proud of your accomplishment in getting this remarkable book done.

Vincent
PS -- Under the tutelage of on of my professors, I too was great admirer of Bernard Fall, and last year I had the opportunity to meet his widow, who came to a couple of the meetings of a group I belong to called the Washington biography Group -- if I see her again, I'm going to give her your book.


1 comment:

  1. Vincent Tobin is an old friend from the days when I served on the Board of the New York Power Authority. He is not an ex-Navy man, but I appreciate his willingness to comment on the book.

    He, like many others, were critics of the Vietnam War. In these comments, he reflects back on the fact of the great divide evident in the country at that time. He also expresses a respect for those who did serve. In addition, he addresses the issue of what the lessons of Vietnam may mean for us today. All of this is good. It was my hope in writing the book, that it would spawn a discussion of all of these ramifications of the Vietnam experience.

    The Author

    ReplyDelete