Sunday, July 30, 2023

 

homepage logo

 The Post-Journal

Frustration Of Dealing With The Impersonal

                                                                                        JUL 29, 2023

ROLLAND KIDDER

 It may be because of my age, but I am becoming more irritated and frustrated by what I would call the prevalence of the “impersonal” in today’s society.

Whether it is being besieged by robo-calls, incoming spam calls, or trying to navigate my way through the world of “smart” phones–I am coming to believe that there is a concerted effort in our culture to minimize the personal touch in our lives. I come from the “old school” of wanting to actually speak with a person I know, rather than with an answering machine asking me to push various buttons on my phone.

I suspect that some of these aspects of technology have been specially developed to deal with old, recalcitrant guys like me. I am a bit amazed now that when I have a medical appointment of any kind, I am supposed to text “Y” or “C” (yes or confirmed) that I will be there. I can understand that sociological data probably show that at my age I may forget that I have an appointment. Still, I am bit insulted when the same message comes by phone and email as well as text. Do they really think that I have lost it that much?

Now, the tech world is promoting a whole new line of non-personal contact called “artificial intelligence” or “AI.” I really don’t want anything to do with it. I don’t like it now when I make an “800” call and get connected with a person I don’t know at a call center in Kansas City. However, I prefer that to being connected to a machine in India or China which will make you think there is an actual person talking to you when there really isn’t. No. That’s not for me.

It has been interesting to see recently that the screenwriters’ and actors’ unions in Hollywood have gone on strike, and some of it deals with the fear of being replaced by AI. If computers can create images that act like real people or write script better than humans can–then, who needs actors and screenwriters? We have seen automation in American industry before, but nothing like the challenges that artificial intelligence is now bringing.

I have written before at times about feeling like Don Quixote “flailing at windmills,” and thus know that I am unlikely to change anything about any of this. And, let’s face it, it is hard to feel sorry for Hollywood. Nevertheless, I would prefer seeing and listening to real actors and actresses, rather than being fooled by a computer into thinking that they are real.

It is one more way in which the impersonal is foisting itself upon us. I must admit, I don’t like it. Where it will end, I don’t know.

Maybe the time will come when a computer will choose the cuisine and even talk to you when you go out to dinner…but I hope not. I still like ordering my food at a restaurant and having a good conversation over dinner with real people. I have had enough of the impersonal.

No comments:

Post a Comment